Nucleofection ™ is a technology based on the momentary creation of small pores in cell membranes by applying an electrical pulse. The comprehensive way in which Nucleofector™ Programs and cell-type-specific solutions are developed enables nucleic acid substrate delivery not only to the cytoplasm but also through the nuclear membrane and into the nucleus. This allows for high transfection efficiencies up to 99% and makes the transfection success independent from cell proliferation.
4D-Nucleofector™ Core Unit
The 4D-Nucleofector™ Core Unit is the controlling unit of the 4D-Nucleofector™ System. The different functional units can be added in a modular way to the 4D-Nucleofector™ Core Unit and each is suited for different applications:
- X Unit: Supporting Nucleofection of various cell numbers in different formats (16-well Nucleocuvette™ Strips or 100 µL Nucleocuvette™
- Y Unit: Enabling adherent Nucleofection in 24-well culture plates.
- LV Unit: Large-scale transfection of up to 1×109 cells
- 96-well ShuttleTMAdd-on: Higher throughput Nucleofection in 96-well Nucleocuvette™ Plates
Transfections per minute:
- X Unit (16-well Nucleocuvette™ Strips): 16-32 reactions
- X Unit (100 µL Nucleocuvette™ Vessels): 20-26 reactions
- Y Unit (Dipping Electrodes):8-10 reactions
- LV Unit (LV Nucleocuvette™Cartridges): 2-3 mL
The 4D-Nucleofector™ X Unit is one of the three functional modules of the 4D-Nucleofector™ System. It supports Nucleofection of various cell numbers in different formats. The 4D-Nucleofector™ X Unit is also required in order to run the 96-well Shuttle™ Device.
Electroporation-based methods have so far required cells to be in suspension for transfection. The Lonza Nucleofector™ Technology entered a new era and allows direct Nucleofection of cells in adherence. Cells that typically grow in adherence to cell culture can be kept and transfected by Nucleofection in their physiological state. The Y Unit of the 4D-Nucleofector™ System works with disposable conductive polymer Dipping Electrode Arrays that can be inserted into standard 24-well culture plates for Nucleofection.
Large-Scale Transfection Using the 4D-Nucleofector™ LV Unit – Experience the new functional unit for the 4D-Nucleofector™ System which expands our proven system to larger-scale transfection. The LV Unit allows for closed, scalable transfection of larger cell numbers in the range of 1×107 to 1×109 cells. Transfection protocols can be established on a smaller scale using the X Unit and subsequently transferred to the LV Unit without the need for re-optimization. Transferability has been tested for various cell types, including human T cells, CHO-S, HEK293-S, or K-562.
96-well Shuttle™ System
The 96-well Shuttle™ System is a medium-throughput add-on for the 4D-Nucleofector™ System suited for convenient optimization of Nucleofection conditions or as an assay establishment tool.
The complete system consists of three components:
- The 4D-Nucleofector™ System (Core Unit, cat. no. AAF-1002B, and X Unit, cat. no. AAF-1002X) serving as the program delivery unit
- The 96-well Shuttle™ System which mediates the transfer of the respective 96-well program to a specific well of the 96-well Nucleocuvette™ Plate
- A laptop computer with the 96-well Shuttle™
- The software controlling the interaction between the devices