Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-OES) is Thermo Scientific’s best elemental analysis technique for many different applications, including those in the environmental, metallurgical, geological, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, materials, and food safety. It can be applied to various types of samples like liquid samples, organic solutions, or even solid samples using specific sample preparation technique or additional accessories. The advantages of using ICP-OES over other elemental analysis techniques, such as atomic absorption spectrometry (AAS), can be seen from its wide linear dynamic range, high matrix tolerance, and the enhanced speed of analysis.
Besides that, ICP-OES derives its analytical data from the emission spectra of elements excited within a high-temperature plasma (10000oC). The sample (typically liquid sample) is inserted into the plasma and the optical system (spectrometer) is used to separate element-specific wavelengths of light to focus the resolved light onto the detector as efficiently as possible. The spectrometer itself consists of two parts: the fore-optics and the mono- or polychromator. When the light exits the mono- or polychromator, it is focused into the detector and the derived signals are processed to quantify the elemental composition.
ICP-OES is mainly used for samples with high total dissolved solids (TDS) or suspended solids and is, therefore, it works reliably for analyzing ground water, wastewater, soil, and solid waste. It also can be used for analyzing mineral water as well because generally, ICP-OES is used to measure contaminants for environmental safety assessment and elements with a higher regulatory limit. It also has much higher tolerance for TDS (up to 30%).
ICP-OES is used for all matrices of environmental samples, especially for high-matrix samples, with several advantages:
- Only analytical grade reagents are sufficient
- Simpler method development does not need any specialist with highly technical expertise
- Overall it is a cheaper option if the elements do not need lower detection limit like ICP-MS does
The iCAP 7000 series ICP-OES offers three models, all of which enable global regulatory compliance, in a wide range of fields, and each instrument is designed to suit the specific throughput requirements of a variety of users.
iCap 7200 ICP-OES
- An entry level, but it is definitely a cost-effective analysis for low sample throughput requirements
- Perfect analytical solution for restricted budgets
iCAP 7400 ICP-OES
- For routine analysis requirements and mid-range sample throughput
- Ideal for QA/QC laboratories that require highest sensitivity from full wavelenghth coverage
iCAP 7600 ICP-OES
- Highest productivity and maximum sample throughput with advanced, flexible, accessory support, such as lazer ablation
- Best solution for laboratories experiencing the most challenging analytical demands, such as large contract, or R&D facilities